Shorter join codes had been on my mind for some time - lobbys were joinable via a URL and their id (a guid), but joining via UI and a short code entry had been a feature requested a few times. I started the branch at the end of October thinking it would be an easy change but after a couple of sessions it still wasn’t anywhere near being completed.
Procrastination featured a lot, and over the weeks I slowly plugged away at it, but each time I made progress, some other problem revealed itself. I changed my approach twice, with the third finally revealing the path to the goal. As how things usually turn out, increased test coverage at both the unit and end-to-end levels allowed me to confidently make the change and catch bugs introduced.